Message continued below…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR4AC8Dp5eM
Notes provided below!
The Mission of the No Substitute Ministries Bible study group is to bring clarity and understanding to God’s Word so that we can apply it to our lives in a practical and effective manner, enabling us to impact the lives of others and bring change to our world through our application of the Gospel.
Bible Study Agenda
- Bible Study/Topic Discussion
- Questions/Answers/open discussion
- Close with prayer
Study Focus for Saturday, March 9, 2013
Key Points of Discussion:
- Renewing the Mind/Soul
- The Gospel of Grace
- Where’s Your Head At: Part 2 – Coming out of idolatry
- Change begins with renewing your mind and it is a process, not a one time event, and it involves both the addition of “Good” and subtraction of “Bad” from your life.
- In order for change to take place around you, it must begin with you. Change begins with renewing your mind and altering the way you think to line up with God’s Word (Romans 12:1, 2).
- Man is a tri-part being—spirit, soul, and body (1 Thessalonians 5:23).
- We ARE spirit beings, created in the image and likeness of God. We POSSESS a soul – our mind, will and emotions.
- We LIVE INSIDE of a body.The spirit was never designed to be led by the Body, or by the worldly, sense-knowledge of the mind, but by the Word of God.
- We are spirits and must keep our bodies and minds in subjection to the Word of God.
- Grace is the power that we have through Jesus not only saves and restores us to right standing with God, but also helps us live victoriously.
- When we become born again, God not only gives us the grace to receive salvation, He also gives us the grace to live our lives in a way that pleases Him. We are the righteousness of God through grace (2 Corinthians 5:21). There is grace available for everything we need in life; we access grace through faith in God’s Word (Ephesians 2:4-10, Romans 3:21-31, 5:1-5).
- Distraction is a tactic of the enemy, Satan. Distraction must be directly countered by focus in order to mitigate and/or eliminate its effects.
- As Christians, we must remember that we have an enemy whose plan is to undermine the will of God. (Matt 13:24-28, 39) – whatever the enemy uses, we have the grace (power) to overcome (Luke 10:19).
- Just as Jesus did, when Satan attempted to distract Him, we must counter with focus on the Word of God (Luke 4:1-14, Matt 4:1-11, Luke 11:17-36, Colossians 3:1-2, 1 Tim 4:16, 1 Pet 1:13-16) – Actively align your words AND actions with Jesus through prayer, confessions, reading the Word of God (The Bible), and service.
- God desires to be the head of your life.
- God wants us for him and him alone – our only source. There can be no substitute. (Exodus 20:3-4, James 4:5-8, Luke 16:13, Ezekiel 6:8-9)
- The power of God cannot be wielded (used for our benefit) in idolatry – if God is not at the head, then idolatry is in motion – We are defeated whenever something else has replaced God as Lord and master (1 Samuel 4-7)
- Repent. Replace. Repair. Win – God is the only one qualified to lead us – When HE is first, we win. (1 Chronicles 29:10-13, Acts 4:8-13, Ephesians 1:18-23, Colossians 1:16-19, (1 Samuel 4-7, 2 Kings 9, Colossians 2:6-10, 1 Peter 2:7-9, Matthew 6:33)
Where’s Your Head At? (Pt. 2)
- Romans 12:1-2
- Proverbs 16:3
- 2 Peter 3:14-18
- Psalms 139:23-24
And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.” – Matthew 8:20
We talked about how observing and evaluating our lives and making a quality assessment of exactly where, and even more importantly, who, is at the helm of our lives. If there is something else…ANYTHING else at your head…repent TODAY…change your mind and “redo your top floor”(Think “penthouse”). Replace your head…the true head…where it belongs and you will have victory in your life just as it has been promised to you in the word of God.
Change – to make the form, nature, content, future course of a thing different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone; to transform.
- First things first – Realize that the need for change exists
- If your life, in action, definition, habits, and the regular focus and fruit of your effort does not line up with the agenda of Jesus Christ – Then you need to change. Repent – replace your “top floor”. How? Renew your mind (Romans 12:1-2).
Change Prayer – In the name of Jesus, Mind (speaking to YOUR mind), I revoke the privileges I’ve extended to you to think, plan, or carry out ANY purpose that will deter me from walking fully with Jesus Christ. I’ve made the decision that HE is my life. You WILL line up AND behave to ASSIST that decision in Jesus’ name!
- Apply the Agents of Change – 2 Peter 3:14 –
- Be Diligent – Diligence is the constant steady, effort to achieve. Be diligent to be found in peace. Fight for your peace if you have to!
- Account – consider the long suffering of our Lord is our salvation. Consider that it didn’t make him retaliate against us, but that we WIN all the time and that the trial takes us to the next level
- Beware – Be Aware – so that you are not led away with the error of the wicked. Be alert. Wake up.
- Grow in Grace – Grow in the knowledge of Jesus: Get in the Word!
- The Evolution of Change – this is what you will see increase during the process. (Think of the “chrysalis” phase).
- Worship – You become more aware of who God is and what God has done.
- Knowledge of God – your understanding, awareness, relationship with God has strengthened. Time with God has increased (prayer).
- Diligent Attention to the Word of God
- Testimony – you have seen God work in your life and you want to tell someone.
- The Evidence of Change – this is the fruit – manifested change in your life.
- Filled with the Knowledge of God’s Will
- Walk worthy of the Lord – capable of being compared with
- Fruitful in every good work – You’ll never hear “you failed”
- Ever Increasing in the Knowledge of God! It is important to reiterate this. This is a continuous process. God is faithful to continue our improvement!